Sunday, November 21, 2004

...and the world's your oyster

Good afternoon and welcome to our first official update!

I arrived in Bangkok on Saturday night and after being picked up at the airport by my big bro, we preceeded directly to the pub for a few pints (in true Duffy fashion)!

Today is my last day in Thailand and I have spent my time here just hangin out. I saw a very bad movie in the theatre yesterday, Ladder 49. My apologies to the few of you who might have enjoyed it (Leah!) but in my humble opinion it kinda sucked the big one!

WARNING: I'm gonna blather on about soccer for this whole paragraph...
Last night I was treated to what could have been a beautiful personal moment and huge triumph for Canadian Women's soccer. The Under-19 World Cup is being held in Thailand and Canada was actually one of the favourites (after losing 1-0 in extra time to the bleedin US in the final of last U-19 World Cup). Canada was playing China in one of the Quarter Finals. Our team is actually pretty good although it is not beautiful football by any stretch of the imagination. Anyhow, I said 'could have been' a beautiful personal moment and huge truimph for Canadian Women's soccer cuz it is pretty friggin' difficult for a team to win after their goalkeeper gets red-carded and gives up a penalty for taking down a Chinese striker in the box in the first minute of the game. Yeah, the first minute!!! I was bleedin' in shock. So they lost 3-1 and then had a big cry afterward. It was all very sad. On a more exciting note, in the other Quarter Final of the night, Brazil scored a wonderful header in the last second of regulation time against Germany and went on to beat them 4-2 in extra time! That was pretty.
OKAY, FOOTBALL DRIVEL OVER!

Well, that is my update-my day consisted of a movie about nothing and a lot of unluckiness on the pitch. One night in Bangkok!!! If you are in fact still reading, you are defintely to be commended.

I head to Vienna tonight and then off to Cairo where things shall get much more exciting (unless of course I witness another football match, in which case you shall all be subject to some more highly detailed football talk!!!).

I hope you're all well.
Jen

No comments: