Monday, November 29, 2004

Ah...Jen...when will you learn?

Well, we survived the desert and although there were no camels (except for a baby one that sorta resembled a hairy embryo on four legs), I did run into some trouble with another Egyptian laddie!

First off, the White Desert is by far one of the most tranquil, beautiful, stunning, romantic places I've ever been in my life. It consists of a beige sandy floor covering the bases of and flowing around huge calcitic (chalk-like) monoliths of many different shapes. The structures were formed by wind erosion as the wind picked up the sand and basically made a natural sand paper effect on the rocks. We were lucky enough to have a full moon on our night sleeping under the stars and by the moonlight the desert looked like an arctic or lunar landscape. It friggin' rocked and I wanted to stay much longer.

We hooked up with two Kiwi gals (gotta love the flightless, nocturnal birds) and an American for the trip and had a friggin' blast. The trouble came when, of course unbeknownst to me, our guide Shaban took some sorta liking to me and it wasn't until later speculation about his actions did I realise how creepy he really was. We all slept in a row, but I was at the end, so he moved his mattress beside mine, and then every time I tried to roll over he would be looking at me, and THEN he kept tapping me. I seriously thought this was all innocent and that maybe he just wanted to make sure I was still there under my fourteen blankets (it was COLD in the desert), but after a lot of retrospect his true lecherousness became apparent. Of course, this was after I had given him my e-mail address. What am I, 13 years old???!

So, there you have it...my luck with the Egyptian men continues!!! Luckily I was too stupid to realise what was going on at the time so it didn't detract from my wonderful time.

We have gotten the heck outa Cairo and are way down south in Aswan now. Maybe I'll do a little better here.

Love ya all.
Jen

No comments: