Wednesday, December 8, 2004

A-dri-enne

So, I am sitting on the steps of Luxor's finest hotel, minding my own business when a bunch of sedans and minivans pull up and important looking people get out to rush about frantically. One of the people, a Chinese woman in glowing garments, with big hair and equally big glasses, looks vaguely familiar to me, but I can't place her so I put her from my mind. I sorta felt like I was far too calm to be in the midst of all these rushers, so I got up to move and upon doing so, I noticed Canadian flags on all of the vehicles. Curiosity piqued, I told one of the lads (who was standing still for a second) that I was Canadian and asked him what was going. He got very excited and said "The Governor General of Canada is in this store, I'm sure she'd love to meet you.". Internal dialogue: "Shit Jen, remember our Governor General's name! Quickly!". So we go in and I shake hands with an older white chick, thinking "I don't know who the heck you are", when she turns to the woman beside her (whom I had been completely ignoring until then, and who turns out to be the Chinese woman I had seen earlier) and says "Jennifer, may I present the Right Honourable..blah, blah, blah". We feebly shake hands (she's feeble cuz she knows I'm an idiot who can't remember her name and I'm feeble cuz I know she knows I'm and idiot and can't remember her name) and I get on outa there. And thus ends my illustrious meeting with Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General and Commander-In-Chief of Canada. Of course, Aman showed up about 10 minutes later and said "Did you see Adrienne Clarkson?".

We are back in Cairo and are blowing all our money on shopping. Aman has bought a lot of jewellery!! I have had no proposals in about two days and am feeling a little low about myself!! There have unfortunately, been far too many occasions where feels have been copped! Very, very disturbing for such an innocent as me, I tell you!!! Aman has taken to performing body guard duties and walks one pace behind and one pace to the side of me looking very menacing with her dark glasses.

Luxor was amazing and overwhelming cuz there is so much to see. The Valley of the Kings, The Valley of the Queens, The Tombs of the Nobels, Luxor Temple, The Temples of Karnak, etc, etc... it is easy for a girl to get what they call "Pharaonic Phatique". This did happen to Aman on one occasion when (in some rather nice ruins of a Temple to Hathor-the Goddess of Love) she said, through clenched jaw, "Seen one temple, seen 'em all, Jen.".

The tombs were very cool, claustrophobic affairs with FULL COLOUR hieroglyphs, everywhere. We had seen some colour before, but nothing prepares you for beautifully painted scenes of gods, pharaohs, animals, food, you name it, all over the ceilings and walls. It was amazing. We did have one kind of Indiana Jones opportunity and failed miserably when we were far too scared to continue further than 10 feet into a very dark, creepy tunnel. Good thing I didn't go into Archaeology!!!

So now we're on our last day together before Aman heads back to Ghana and I head to Greece. Luckily, there is much more shopping to be done (in the biggest market I have ever seen)!


Hope you're all well.
Jen

No comments: